CLASSIFICATION OF ARANEUS (SPIDER)
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.)
CLASS :- ARACHNIDA (Terrestrial or aquatic arthropods with book-lungs or trachea and without antennae, mandibles and jaws. )
ORDER :- ARANEIDA (Embolo branchiates in which prosoma possesses 2 jointed non-chelate chelicerae and non-chelate pedipalps)
FAMILY :- ARANEIDAE (long-jawed orb weavers)
GENUS :- Araneus (Spider)
It is found in India, Africa, New Zealand, Myanmar, Bangladesh and U.S.A.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Araneus is commonly found in houses and gardens having cosmopolitan distribution. It is carnivorous, feeding on small insects by hunting or in ensnaring.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF ARANEUS (SPIDER)
- Commonly called as spider.
- Integument is never entirely smooth and glabrous but is more or less densely covered with hairs of many varieties, there being simple, plumose, or in the shape of bristles, scales, clubs or spines.
- Body is differentiated into an anterior prosoma and a posterior opisthosoma which is superficially limbless. They are often brightly coloured.
- Prosoma and opisthosoma are joined narrow pedicel. Prosoma is covered having 8 ocelli and appendages.
- Head appendages are sub-chelate small chelicerae containing poison glands and six jointed pedipalps.
- Segments 4 to 7 bear walking legs.
- Opisthosoma is segmented, soft, rounded and without telson.
- Last part of opisthosoma contains anus and 4 pairs of spinnerets spinning organs, which produce silken threads for the construction of spider web.
- Respiratory organs are book-lungs.
- Excretory organs are malpighian tubules and coxal glands. Sexes are separate with distinct sexual dimorphism.
The spiders construct webs of various types, reticular webs, sheet webs, funnel webs and geometric orb webs. Some spiders are vagabonds and make silk tents only for their protection while moulting or for wintering. Trap door spiders protect the mouth of their burrows with a hinged door.
The animal has spinnerets spiniling organs and all above features, hence it is spider.