CLASSIFICATION OF BOMBINATOR : FIRE-BELLIED TOAD
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Superclass :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AMPHIBIA ( Scaleless glandular skin , have 3 chambered heart , cold blooded, 2 occipital condyles, can live in water and land both )
Order :- ANURA OR SALIENTIA (Tail, external gills and gill-slits absent. both hind limbs and fore limbs well developed ).
Sub-order :- OPISTHOCOELA ( Vertebrae opisthocoelous, ribs free)
Family :- DISCOGLOSSIDAE ( Tongue and eyelids present. Adults with ribs )
Genus :- BOMBINATOR
Bombinator is found in Europe, Eurasia and China. Miocene.
Habit and habitat
Bombinator lives in standing water with hydrophytic vegetation.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF BOMBINATOR
- Commonly called as fire-bellied toad.
- Body measures about 5 cm and divided into head and trunk.
- Head contains eyes and nostril.
- Dorsal surface is black or grey, while ventral surface is bluish black with irregular red or orange patches.
- Forelimbs and hind limbs are well developed. Hind limbs are enlarged for leaping. Webbed toes.
- Tongue and eyelids present.
- Tympanic membranes and vocal sacs are absent. Eustachian tube is small cloaca distinct.
- Vertebrae opisthocoelous. Adults have ribs.
- Egg deposition and fertilization external by clasped male and female. Larva is a tadpole.
Bombinator ignem is common fire-bellied toad. The abdomen and entire ventral surface is brilliantly coloured with bluish-black and irregular red or orange patches. Dorsal surface grey or olive-black. When disturbed, it exposes its belly against the enemies. The shaking water gives a flame-like appearance and hence called as fire-bellied toad. When the toad is disturbed on land, head is thrown back, limbs turned upwards, belly is exposed with coloured patches and teeth produce hissing sound.
Since this anura contains coloured patches on abdomen and above features hence it is BOMBINATOR.