CLASSIFICATION OF BUBO BUBO : HORNED OWL
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AVES ( Biped and feathered vertebrates ).
Sub-class :- NEORNITHES ( True birds. Metacarpels fused )
Super Order :- NEOGNATHAE ( Modern birds, no teeth, sternum keeled).
Order :- STRIGIFORMES ( Head large and rounded ).
Genus : Bubo
Species :- bubo
Bubo bubo has world-wide distribution, specially found in India, Pakistan and Myanmar.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Bubo bubo is a nocturnal bird, living woody places and avoids heavy forests. All owls are carnivorous birds of prey and live mainly on a diet of insects and small rodents such as mice, rats, and hares. Some owls are also specifically adapted to hunt fish. They are very adept in hunting in their respective environments. It hides in retreat in day.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF BUBO BUBO : HORNED OWL
- Commonly called the great horned owl. In Hindi it is known as Ghughu or ulloo.
- A group of owls is called a “parliament.”
- It is a fierce looking large owl with large rounded head, huge orange gold eyes and long horns or ears and nostril. Plumage soft textured.
- Body divided into head, back, neck, breast and abdomen.
- Owls have 14 neck vertebrae compared to seven in humans, which makes their necks more flexible.
- Bird is heavily built with dark brown back mottled and spotted with buff. The dark brown underside is streaked. Beak is short, sharp and curved and adapted for tearing and piercing.
- Eyes are large, yellow and forwardly directed, each in a disk of radial feathers. Wings folded over the body.
- Their facial discs help owls to funnel the sound of prey to their ears. In many species, these discs are placed asymmetrically, for better directional location.
- Ear opening large, often with flap-like cover, sometimes asymmetrical.
- Legs are fully feathered. Feet adapted claws sharp.
- Females owls are typically larger than the males
Nesting season November to April.
- Most owls share an innate ability to fly almost silently and also more slowly in comparison to other birds of prey.
Bubo bubo is of great economic value to mankind by destroying the harmful animals like rats and mice and these birds need careful protection. Soon after sunset, they produce deep soothing prolonged voice bubo. Mythologically owl is considered unauspicious Academically Barn Owl is very important as Camillo Golgi discovered Golgi body from nerve net of this owl.
Since this bird has large forwardly directed eyes and above features, hence it is Bubo or Horned Owl.