CLASSIFICATION OF BUFO : COMMON TOAD
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AMPHIBIA ( Scaleless glandular skin , have 3 chambered heart , cold blooded, 2 occipital condyles, can live in water and land both )
Order :- ANURA OR SALIENTIA (Tail, external gills and gill-slits absent. both hind limbs and fore limbs well developed ).
Sub-order :- PROCOELA ( Vertebrae procoels. Ribs absent )
Genus :- Bufo
Bufo has world-wide distribution. They are abundantly found in India, U.S.A. and Pacific State of Alaska. Miocene to Recent.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Bufo is terrestrial, nocturnal, hiding under logs and stones or in burrows in day. It enters water only to breed and spawn.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF BUFO : COMMON TOAD
- Commonly called true toad.
- It differs from frog in having rough, dry and warty skin with more poison glands than mucous glands. The skin is more or less of protective nature than respiratory.
- Body divided into head and trunk. Head contains mouth large paired eyes, nostrils and tympanum.
- Behind eyes there is a pair of large parotid poison glands.
- Hind limbs contain 4 claw like digits and thumb pad or adhesive pads.
- Forelimbs and Hind limbs are short. Toes provided with horny tips and poorly developed.
- Maxillary teeth, sternum absent and ventral parts of pectoral girdle overlap (arciferous). Sacral vertebra has dilated transverse processes. Vertebrae procoelous. Urostyle with double condyle.
- Liver is bilobed. Glands of swammerdams absent.
Eggs are pigmented and laid in gelatinous string. Young toads mature in many years.
The parotid glands of the toad secrete two toxic substances, bufotalus and bufogus. These toxins cause nausea, respiratory and muscular disturbances and also effect heart functioning, if swallowed by man. Bufo melanostictus is found upto 3000 meters in the Himalayas.
Since this Anura contains parotid glands and above features, hence it is Bufo.
This Post Has 3 Comments
Pingback: CLASS AMPHIBIA | FAUNAFONDNESS | 2021
I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. This article has truly peaked my interest.
I am going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about once a week.
I opted in for your RSS feed too.
We are Grateful that you liked our website. We work very hard to create content . Please do us a favor, share our website with others. This will help us to motivate and create more content.
And you can contact us here we are always here to help.