CLASSIFICATION OF CHELONE : GREEN TURTLE
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- REPTILIA ( Scaly vertebrates with right and left aortic arches. Single condyle, pulmonary respiration. Embryo with amnion and allantois ).
Sub-class :- ANAPSIDA ( Primitive reptiles. Skull completely roofed over ).
Order :- CHELONIA ( Turtles, tortoises and terrapins ).
Family :- CHELONIDAE ( Limbs flipper like ).
Genus :- Chelone
Chelone is distributed in tropical and sub-tropical regions and chiefly found
in the Indian, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans and coasts of the United States.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Chelone is a marine reptile. They come ashore only to lay eggs.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF CHELONE : GREEN TURTLE
- Commonly called as green turtle. It measures about 110 cms. Body divided into head, neck. trunk and tail.
- Body case is rigid. Carapace flat, heart-shaped and covered with smooth bony shields.
- Plastron is joined to carapace by ligament.
- Dorsal shields are juxtaposed fitting closely into each other. Costal shields 4 pairs.
- Head is covered by single pair of prefrontal shields. Jaws contain denticulate edges. Head is partially retractile into shell. Head contains mouth, nostril, eye.
- Eyes well developed, provided with eyelids and nictitating membrane.
- Limbs adapted for swimming and flipper like. The forelimbs form wing-like paddles. Only first digit is clawed while hind limbs clawed and webbed.
The sea turtles are economically important, because their armour is utilized for various purposes and their flesh is edible. being very delicious. Chelone weighs about 90 kg and is much valued for food.
This turtle has flipper-like limbs and above features, hence it is Chelone
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- SOURCES OF IMAGES – https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fconserveturtles.org%2Finformation-sea-turtles-green-sea-turtle%2F&psig=AOvVaw1mPqbpOq2U2kphibkXxSmH&ust=1604394145115000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwi3mIiKwOPsAhX8NHIKHbDHCPIQr4kDegUIARC0AQ