CLASSIFICATION OF CORVUS SPLENDENS (CROW)
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AVES ( Biped and feathered vertebrates ).
Sub-class :- NEORNITHES ( True birds. Metacarpels fused )
Super Order :- NEOGNATHAE ( Modern birds, no teeth, sternum keeled).
Order :- CICONIIFORMES ( Long legged and long necked wading birds ).
Genus : Corvus
Species :- splendens
- Corvus splendens is found everywhere in India.
HABIT AND HABITAT
It is the most common, most familiar, most intelligent and boldest bird, living on trees in towns, villages and gardens. It feeds on any thing from dead meat to any eatable left on the table, i.e., bread, butter, fruits and other preparations. Always around human habitat.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF CORVUS SPLENDENS (CROW)
- Common house crow, called Kauwa or kag in Hindi.
- Adult crow 32 to 42 cm in length.
- Body divisible into head, neck back breast and abdomen. Head contains paired eyes and beak.
- Beak adapted for tearing and cutting.
- Neck and breast , grey, but back and plumage are glossy black.
- Eyes are large and beak stout and elongated.
- Tail feathers are elongated. Wing feathers folded dorsolaterally.
- Feet adapted for perching. 3 toes in front and 1 behind.
Young naked and blind at hatching, require feeding and parental care eating rats and dead animals before becoming independent.
- The house crow acts as efficient municipal scavenger. It destroys locusts and other injurious insects but it also destroys the crop and fruits in orchards. The house crow builds nests of sticks. They roost communally in large flocks. They are also a menace to the eggs and infants of other birds. Whenever any fellow crow dies, crows assemble there in good number and cawing loudly. It is a very intelligent and danger avoiding bird,
- The above bird has raised head and above features, hence it is Corvus splendens or Crow.