CLASSIFICATION OF EPHEMERA (MAYFLY)
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.)
CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of legs.)
ORDER :- EPHEMEROPTERA (Live for a day or two (adults)
FAMILY :- EPHEMERIDAE
GENUS :- Ephemera (Mayfly)
It is found in U.S.A. (Florida, Illinois), India, Sri lanka and Myanmar.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Ephemera is a soft-bodied and most familiar insect found on the margins of lakes, streams and rivers.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF EPHEMERA (MAYFLY)
- Commonly called as Mayfly.
- May flies are small to large, soft bodied, slender insects with gradual metamorphosis.
- Thorax is divisible into small prothorax, long mesothorax and short metathorax.
- Head is small and contains short setaceous antennae, vestigeal but biting mouthparts, a pair of compound eyes and 3 ocelli between compound eyes.
- Thorax has 3 pairs of inconstant walking legs.
- Forewings are, in repose, held together above the body in an upright position and with long anal process. Hind wings small. anal The venation is very little reduced with numerous intercalary and cross veins. There is no pterostigma in the wings.
- Abdomen is 10 segmented with a reduced tergum. The last segment contains a pair of long many-jointed anal cerci. The tergum is produced into a long caudal filament.
- Male has 3 jointed, clasping organ and the female has no ovipositor.
- Ephemerids breed in a wide range of waters, usually requiring a layer of silt as the nymphs have strong legs which are adapted for burrowing (the group is sometimes known as burrowing mayflies).
- Nymph lasts for 3 years in water as naiad, feeding on aquatic plants and animals. Certain naiads act as intermediate hosts for nematode parasites of vertebrates. The imago moults prior to mating and is extremely short lived.
Useful insect. May fly plays an extremely important role in the fish-food economy. They are the most abundant insects found in several types of fishing waters. In these areas fish-stomach content indicate presence of several may flies.
the insect contains short abdomen and all above features, hence it is May fly.