CLASSIFICATION OF EQUUS CABALLUS (HORSE)
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present)
GROUP :- CRANIATA (Definite head. Cranium with brain present)
SUB-PHYLUM :- VERTEBRATA (vertebral column present)
DIVISION :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present)
SUPER CLASS :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
CLASS :-MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands).
SUB-CLASS :- THERIA (Viviparous).
INFRA-CLASS :- EUTHERIA (Placental mammals, vagina single).
ORDER :- PERISSODACTYLA (Odd-toed hoofed mammals).
GENUS :- Equus
SPECIES :- caballus
- Cosmopolitan. Found in Eurasia, Africa, and tropical America.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Horses live in herds in open plains and grasslands. Wild Przewalski’s horses live in deserts between Mongolia and China. Horses are domesticated. One of the fastest running animals.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF EQUUS CABALLUS (HORSE)
- Commonly called as modern horse.
- Horses support their entire body weight on the third toe of each foot. Other toes have atrophied to rudimentary splints. This is excellent adaptation for swift running on the open plains.
- Body of horse is massively built and divided into head, neck, trunk, chest, abdomen and tail.
- Head is small and characteristic. Teeth adapted for grazing and specialized for grinding course siliceous grasses. Jaws are elongated typically ‘horse’ like. Ears shorter.
- Neck is long and mobile. Mane longer and pendant.
- Trunk is large.
- Each foot ends in a large hoof. Metatarsals and tarsals fused. Hind legs and fore legs well developed and adapted for fast running.
- Tail is bushy completely covered with long hairs.
Horse shows following features-
- Horse is a very familiar animal to man.
- It provides excellent evidence for organic evolution. It has been very useful animal to mankind, used in wars and transport,
- Horse racing is most commercial and ammusing game. Equus przewalskii of Mongolia is the only surviving wild horse from which nearly 50-60 domesticated horses have been derived,
- Horse symbolizes truth and secrecy. Very familiar saying that from ‘Horses mouth’.
- Horse also symbolizes strength or power of heavy machines such 2 horse power, 5 horse power etc. Horses also form part of Army for wars.
- This mammal has peculiar jaws and above feature, hence it is Equus caballus.
- FUNAMBULUS (SQUIRREL)FUNAMBULUS(SQUIRREL) CLASSIFICATION OF EQUUS FUNAMBULUS (SQUIRREL) PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present) GROUP :- CRANIATA (Definite head. Cranium ...READ MORE
- BOMBINATOR : FIRE-BELLIED TOADBOMBINATOR : FIRE-BELLIED TOAD CLASSIFICATION OF BOMBINATOR : FIRE-BELLIED TOAD PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite ...READ MORE
- PHYLUM ARTHROPODAPHYLUM ARTHROPODA HISTORY Although invertebrates evolved 500 million years ago, their fossil record is poor due to lack of hard skeleton. Phylum Arthropoda were first to have hard exoskeleton made of ...READ MORE
- PHRYNOSOMA : HORNED TOADPHRYNOSOMA : HORNED TOAD CLASSIFICATION OF PHRYNOSOMA : HORNED TOAD PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. ...READ MORE
- Comparative Study of Respiratory System of VertebrateComparative Study of Respiratory System of Vertebrate Respiratory Organs Exchange of 02 and C02 in an organism takes place in two locations. During internal respiration, also termed cellular or ...READ MORE
- PRISTIS : SAW FISHPRISTIS : SAW FISH CLASSIFICATION of PRISTIS : SAW FISH Phylum :- CHORDATA ( Notochord and dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill-slits present). Group :- CRANIATA ( Cranium with brain present ). ...READ MORE
- What are the apex predators of the insect world?What are the apex predators of the insect world? Answer written by :- Sergio Diniz There is one type of insect that can defeat any other insect, thus I believe this is the top apex predator among ...READ MORE
- PIPA AMERICANA : SURINAM TOADPIPA AMERICANA : SURINAM TOAD CLASSIFICATION OF PIPA AMERICANA : SURINAM TOAD PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite ...READ MORE
- SACCOGLOSSUSSACCOGLOSSUS CLASSIFICATION OF SACCOGLOSSUS PHYLUM :- HEMICHORDATA ( Marine, enterocoelous coelomate. Notochord confined to head region). CLASS :- ENTEROPNEUSTA ( Several gill-slits, intestine ...READ MORE
- BULL FROG : HOPLOBATRACHUS TIGRINUSBULL FROG : HOPLOBATRACHUS TIGRINUS CLASSIFICATION OF HOPLOBATRACHUS TIGRINUS : BULL FROG PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group ...READ MORE