CLASSIFICATION OF EUDYNAMIS SCOLOPACEUS : KOEL
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AVES ( Biped and feathered vertebrates ).
Sub-class :- NEORNITHES ( True birds. Metacarpels fused )
Super Order :- NEOGNATHAE ( Modern birds, no teeth, sternum keeled).
Order :- CUCULIFORMES ( Toes 2 infront and 2 behind ).
Genus : Eudynamis
Species :- scolopaceus : koel
Eudynamis scolopaceus is commonly found in India. Pakistan, Philippines and Australia, China.
HABIT AND HABITAT
It lives on trees of gardens, mango orchards, large leafy trees and the free voice kuoo kuoo is often heard during mango season. It feeds on banyan and peepul figs berries and also insects and caterpillars. The bird is the habit of laying its eggs in the nests of crow and throwing on them the responsibility of raising its young.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF EUDYNAMIS SCOLOPACEUS : KOEL
- Commonly called as Koel.
- Body divisible into head, neck. breast and abdomen.
- Head contains eyes and beak Beak adapted for seed eating.
- Sexual dimorphism is conspicuous Male is black all over having glistening metallic colour with blood red paired eyes and pale bill. Female is brown with white spots.
- Beak tip pointed and curved downwards. Eyes small with rounded pupil Tail long.
- Hind limbs contain reversible toes with 2 toes infront and 2 toes behind.
- Wing feathers folded over the body and tail feathers long.
- In summer months the call of male bird is very familiar kuoo-kuoo-kuoo. Female does not sing.
Koel amuses the ears of mankind by its beautiful and sweet voice. The poets have often associated koel in their romantic poems. The female nestling Koel is much darker than adult female, an adaptation to deceive foster parents, i.e., crows.
This bird has pale bill, red eyes and above features, hence it is male Eudynamys scolopaceus or Koel.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- Sources of images-https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbKlta1uANwU&psig=AOvVaw0yf6zY8rzWsImfNEYgb7nU&ust=1602817764599000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwiKkqHNz7XsAhUAMrcAHZsQDdsQr4kDegUIARDMAQ