CLASSIFICATION OF AMBYSTOMA SALAMANDRA : FIRE SALAMANDER
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AMPHIBIA ( Scaleless glandular skin , have 3 chambered heart , cold blooded, 2 occipital condyles, can live in water and land both )
Order :- URODELA OR CAUDATA ( Scaleless Amphibia having well developed tail, generally with two limbs, with or without external gills and gill-slits in adults).
Sub-order :- SALAMANDROIDEA( Eye lid, present Adults are terrestrial).
Genus :- Salamandra
Species :- maculatum
Salamandra is distributed in Europe, Eastern Asia and North America.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Terrestrial Salamandra commonly found under logs, stones, cracks and crevices of the old walls.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF SALAMANDRA : FIRE SALAMANDER
- Commonly known as fire salamander.
- Animal lizard like. Males measuring 12 to 15 cm in length. Females longer than males. Body divisible into head, trunk and tail.
- Body coloured brilliantly black with irregular patches of yellow on back and limbs.
- Forelimbs and hind limbs well developed and lift the body well above ground.
- Head contains mouth prominent eyes and nostrils. Eyes are provided with movable eyelids. The large paratoid glands are present behind the head.
- Tooth-bearing extensions of prevomers along parasphenoids present.
- Lungs present. Gills and gill clefts are absent in adults.
- Vertebrae opisthocoelus. Inter-auricular septum perforated.
Tail is without tail fin. Body is spotted all over. Some forms like S. maculosa are viviparous. The eggs develop in oviducts. Larva has gills which are sqed before hatching.
This urodele has brilliantly coloured body and above features, hence it is fire salamander.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- image source – https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F383931936982153553%2F&psig=AOvVaw0OU2rBjFSP8Qi1CKwzWGBm&ust=1603961674986000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjsp56A9dbsAhVNnEsFHYeCDskQr4kDegUIARC1AQ