CLASSIFICATION OF EQUUS FUNAMBULUS (SQUIRREL)
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present)
GROUP :- CRANIATA (Definite head. Cranium with brain present)
SUB-PHYLUM :- VERTEBRATA (vertebral column present)
DIVISION :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present)
SUPER CLASS :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
CLASS :- MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands).
SUB-CLASS :- THERIA (Viviparous).
ORDER :- RODENTIA (Having one pair of upper incisors).
FAMILY :- SCIURIDAE
GENUS :- Funambulus
- Funambulus has world-wide distribution. It is found on all continents and islands.
HABIT AND HABITAT
It lives on trees, ground and is fast runner. It feeds on fruits and seeds. It builds nest of twigs and leaves. It is diurnal.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF FUNAMBULUS (SQUIRREL)
- “Funambulus” is the Latin word for “rope-dancer”.
- Commonly called as squirrel and in Hindi Gilahari.
- Body contains three white and grey stripes on dorsal side, absent on neck. Body divisible into head, neck, trunk or back, chest, abdomen and tail.
- Ventral side and limbs covered by small grey hairs.
- Head contains snout with moustaches nostrils, large eyes and well developed pinnae.
- Forelimbs and hind limbs well developed with clawed toes. Tail elongated and bushy.
- Incisors exposed chisel-like, rootless, grow continuously, gap between incisors and cheek teeth, canine absent and upper and lower cheek teeth about equal size. Palate narrow.
- Elbow joint rotates.
- Squirrel is also used for experimental purposes. It is largely used in cancerous studies.
- Squirrel destroys fruit crops.
- This mammal has bushy tail, stripes and above features, hence it is Squirrel (Funambulus ).