CLASSIFICATION OF HYLOBATES : GIBBON
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
Class :-MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands ).
Sub-class :- THERIA ( Viviparous ).
Infra class :- EUTHERIA ( Placental mammals, vagina single ).
Order :- PRIMATES( Head turns easily on neck ).
Sub-Order :- ANTHROPOIDEA (Eyes directed forwards ).
Genus : Hylobates
South East Asia and Malaya Archipelago.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Chiefly arboreal, found in rain forests upto 71,000 feet. Strongly territorial. Rarely descend to ground.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF HYLOBATES : GIBBON
- Commonly called as gibbon
- Body slender, thickly furred and tailless.
- Height 3 feet. Body divided into head, neck, trunk.
- Head contains sunkes orbit (eyes) flat nose and black face with mouth.
- Prominent callous pads on buttocks.
- Gibbons are known for their remarkable calls.
- Male and female differ in colours. Female basically fawn. Female brownish.
- Forelimbs and hind limbs well developed. Forelimbs are long and Gibbons swing around trees with great speed.
- Female produces young one after every 2 years. Gestation period 7 months.
- On ground they walk on their hindlegs slowly but they seldom descend from trees.
Prominent animal of Zoological gardens. Extremely noisy. They howl, bark and cry. Prominent animal of Zoological gardens. Extremely noisy. They howl, bark and cry.
Since the animal has sunken orbit and all above features, hence it is Gibbon.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- source of images- https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGibbon&psig=AOvVaw2B7gsCxRY9bJv0vcMRY0xA&ust=1604337429056000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDswezs4ewCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ