LARGEST, HEAVIEST, FASTEST, SMALLEST FISHES
1) LARGEST, HEAVIEST, FASTEST, SMALLEST FISHES
LARGEST MARINE FISH
- Largest marine fish :- Whale-shark (Rhineodon typicus) first discovered in 1821, South Africa. It is not, however, the largest marine fish. It measures about 15 to 20 meters in length and weighs about 40 tonnes.
LARGEST MARINE CARNIVOROUS FISH
- Largest marine carnivorous fish :- Great white shark (Carcharadon carcharias) measuring 11 metres in length. It is also called as maneater, found in tropical and sub-tropical waters.
LONGEST MARINE BONY OR TRUE FISH
- Longest marine bony or true fish :- Russian sturgeon (Acipenser huso) which measures about 8 meters in length.
LARGEST FRESH-WATER FISH
- Largest fresh-water fish :- Pangasianodon gigas found in Thailand. It measures about 2.5 meters in length and weighs about 175 kg.
HEAVIEST BONY FISH
- Heaviest bony fish :- Ocean sunfish (Mola mola), measuring about 4 to 5 meters and weighing about 2300 kg.
SMALLEST MARINE FISH
- Smallest marine fish :- Goby (Eviota zonura) :- of Marshal Island which measures 1 cm to 1.5 cms.
SHORTEST FRESH-WATER FISH
- Shortest fresh-water fish:- Shortest recorded fresh-water fish and shortest of all vertebrates is the dwarf pygmy goby, Pandaka pygmaea. It measures. 0.7 cm to 1 cm. It is almost transparent and colourless, found in streams and lakes of Philippines.
- Fastest fish :- Sailfish :- Isiophorus platypterus :- Although exact speed is difficult to record but it is supposed to travel 30 meters in 3 seconds. The four-winged flying fish has a speed of approximately of 65 k.p.h.
LONGEST LIVED FISH
- Longest lived fish :- Lake strugeon, Acipenser fulvescens, of Ontaria, Canada, was believed to be 154 years old according to growth ring count.
- Shortest lived :- Certain African Killifish live not more than 8 months in the wild state.
- Found deepest :- Bassagigas reported in 1970 from a depth of about 8300 meters by U.S. research vessel.
MOST VENOMOUS FISH
- Most venomous fish :- Stonefish found in tropical waters of Indo-Pacific. Neurotoxin of its spines on contact sometimes proves fatal.
MAXIMUM EGGS PRODUCING
- Maximum eggs producing :- Mola mola, an ocean fish produces 300,000,000 eggs at one time.