CLASSIFICATION OF LION : PANTHERA LEO
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
Class :-MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands ).
Sub-class :- THERIA ( Viviparous ).
Infra class :- EUTHERIA ( Placental mammals, vagina single ).
Order :- Carnivora (Carnivorous)
Genus : Panthera
Species : leo
Found in Africa, South of Sahara, Asia and Gir forest of Gujarat in India.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Lives in thick forest. Massive carnivore. Terrestrial and nocturnal.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF LION : PANTHERA LEO
- Commonly called as lion or Bubbar sher.
- Body contains dark brown or fawny yellow fur.
- Body divisible into head, neck, trunk or back, chest, abdomen and tail. Head is large, massive and majestic looking having eyes, ears and whiskers.
- Males larger than females and measure 3.5 feet tall and 450 pounds in weight.
- Only male has mane. Mane darker than body covering head and shoulder, sometimes extending upto belly.
- Mouth contains highly powerful jaws specialized for sudden puncturing the body of prey. Premolars and molars small. Canines acts as powerful fangs.
- Tail long with a black tuft which conceals a sharp horny tail spur.
- Forelimb and hind limbs well developed. Powerful feet having thick pads below digits which possess sharp claws retractile into sheath.
- Females give birth to 2-6 cubs. Cubs are weaned at 3 months. Cubs are taught upto 9 months for hunting techniques.
- Lions prey includes grazing animals such as dear, buffalo, zebra, nealgai, sheep, goat and other wild beasts.
Mightiest creature. Fearsome and dangerous to animals and man. Sometimes becoming maneater. Only mutton eater. Fascinating animals of zoo, sancturaries and national parks. Lions live in family groups called prides.
The animal has majestic head and above features, hence it is panthera leo
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.