CLASSIFICATION OF MOLOCH (THORNY DEVIL)
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present)
GROUP :- CRANIATA (Definite head. Cranium with brain present)
SUB-PHYLUM :- VERTEBRATA (vertebral column present)
DIVISION:- GNATHOSTOMATA (Jaws and paired appendages present)
SUPER CLASS :- TETRAPODA (Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
CLASS :- REPTILIA (Scaly vertebrates with right and left aortic arches. Single condyle, pulmonary respiration. Embryo with amnion and allantois).
SUB CLASS :- DIAPSIDA (Skull with two temporal openings separated by postorbital and squamosal).
ORDER :- SQUAMATA (Lizards and snakes with horny epidermal scales or shields. Quadrate bone movable. Vertebrae procoelous. Anal opening transverse).
SUB ORDER :- SAURIA (Lizards. Body slender, limbs 4. Pterygoid in contact with quadrate. Eyelids
FAMILY :- AGAMIDAE (limbs normal. Teeth differentiated).
Genus :- Draco
Moloch is found in Australia.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Moloch is also adapted for dry condition and it is an ant-eater.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF DRACO : FLYING LIZARD
- Body divided into head, neck, trunk and tail.
- Skin is rough and highly hygroscopic which absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
- Body of the animal is elongated and is adorned with heavy armour of scaly spines. There are two horn like spines on head. Spines cover the body on all sides.
- Trunk spines are thicker.
- Tail spines and limb spines are smaller in size.
- Head contains small mouth and nostrils and eyes.
- Eyes well developed with eyelids and rounded pupil.
- Lateral teeth of the upper jaw are implanted horizontally and directed inwards.
- Homodont teeth attached to edges of jaws (acrodont). Tongue is thick and short.
- Limbs are normal, pentadactyl. Forelimbs and hind limbs have claws in digits. Both the limbs contain spines.
- This lizard contains characteristic spines and all above features, hence it is Moloch.