OPHIOCEPHALUS PUNCTATUS : SNAKE HEAD
CLASSIFICATION OF OPHIOCEPHALUS PUNCTATUS : SNAKE HEAD
Subphylum :- VERTEBRATA (Vertebral column present ).
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present ).
Super class :- PISCES (Paired fins , gills and skin with scales)
Class :- OSTEICHTHYES ( Bony fishes ).
SUB-CLASS :- ACTINOPTYERGII ( Ray finned fish ).
SUPER ORDER :- TELEOISTEI ( Bony fish proper).
Order :- OPBICEPHALIFORMES ( Teeth present on jaws and palate ).
GENUS :- Ophiocephalus
SPECIES :- punctatus
It is distributed in India, Tropical Africa and Southern Asia.
HABIT AND HABITAT
- Commonly found in fresh-water ponds and rarely in flowing waters. They are able to survive drought in semifluid or beneath dry mud and have an accessory branchial cavity for aerial
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF OPHIOCEPHALUS PUNCTATUS : SNAKE HEAD
- Commonly referred to as snake-headed fish. Colour of the fish varies with water, with greenish back, yellowish sides and striped abdomen. Some specimens possess scattered dots on the head.
- Body is elongated and cylindrical and differentiated into head, trunk and tail. Head and body covered with cycloid scales. Head contains nostril, mouth and eyes.
- Head triangular, tapers into a pointed snout. Teeth present on jaws and palate. Maxillae excluded from border of upper jaw. Lower jaw protruding beyond upper jaw.
- Suprabranchial organ present for breathing.
- Dorsal and anal fins are long. Pectoral fins nearer to ventral fin. Dorsal fin extends from near operculum upto near caudal fin. Anal fin originates from middle of the body and extending upto near caudal fin.
- Caudal fin is rounded and fan-shaped.
- Lateral line is slightly curved. Air bladder long.
Ophiocephalus is eaten as food. It raw flesh is used to cure ulcers.
It can breath atmospheric air due to the present of a supra-branchial cavity. The fish acts as host for camallanid nematodes.
This fish has characteristic anal and dorsal fin and above features, hence it is
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- SOURCES OF IMAGES – https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnature.mdc.mo.gov%2Fdiscover-nature%2Ffield-guide%2Fsnakeheads&psig=AOvVaw0qDbdAY_2WIwiA4KbAmnNp&ust=1604028377358000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjr_bO-7djsAhX3MbcAHeM_AxsQr4kDegQIARA0