CLASSIFICATION OF PAN TRIGLODYTES : CHIMPANZEE
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
Class :-MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands ).
Sub-class :- THERIA ( Viviparous ).
Infra class :- EUTHERIA ( Placental mammals, vagina single ).
Order :- PRIMATES( Head turns easily on neck ).
Sub-Order :- ANTHROPOIDEA (Eyes directed forwards ).
Genus : Pan
Species : triglodytes
West African forests, Sierra Leone, Uganda and Tanganiyka.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Arboreal but mostly lives on ground. They build nests each evening and sleep in them
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PAN TRIGLODYTES : CHIMPANZEE
- Commonly called as Chimpanzee. Body divisible into head, neck, trunk and abdomen.
- Size 54 inches tall, weight 75-85 kg.
- Back and thigh of adults gray. Head, neck, limbs, except face, fingers and toes are covered by thick black hairs. Back is covered by grey hairs.
- Arms long and legs short.
- Muzzle protrudes. Skull prominent and rounded.
- Head rounded, ears large and prominent. Head contains sunkers, eyes small nose and bulging lips.
- Male has a big goitre-like throat sac and two fatty· swellings in the cheeks.
- Feeds on buds of fruits. Single young born and suckled for 4 years. Gestation period 225 days.
- On ground it walks on knuckles. Forelimbs and hind limbs well developed.
Chimpanzees are extremely intelligent. They make and use tools regularly.
Since, the animal has bulding lips and above features, hence it is Chimpanzee.