CLASSIFICATION OF PAPILIO (BUTTERFLY)
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.)
CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of legs.)
ORDER :- LEPIDOPTERA (Scale wing)
FAMILY :- PAPILIONIDAE
GENUS :- Papilio
Few species are found in the dry cultivated plains. The ideal place for butterflies is the lower slopes of the hills well clothed with forest with a sub-tropical climate. The grass feeding species and species feeding on flowering plants and cultivated plants are widely distributed. It has cosmopolitan distribution.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Butterflies are eminently found in the densely forested hills where vegetation is abundant and varied. They are day fliers.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PAPILIO (BUTTERFLY)
- Butterfly is a large and the most beautiful lepidopteran insect.
- Body is divided usually into three parts, namely head, thorax and abdomen and is slender.
- Head if freely movable and possesses a pair of large compound eyes and clubbate antennae (with swollen tips).
- Mouth parts are of sucking type provided with a spirally coiled suctorial proboscis.
- Maxillae are modified into spirally-coiled proboscis.
- Thorax has 3 pairs of legs and 2 pairs of wings. Wings are typically covered with broad pigmented scales. When at rest the wings may be held vertically above the body or roof-life or more or less horizontal and lengthwise over the body. The venation is predominantly longitudinal with cross veins. The wings are coupled and beat together. Wings have coloured patches. Margin of hind wings contain hairs.
- Abdomen has 10 segments covered with scales.
- There are no cerci. Ovipositor rarely present.
- Larva is a caterpillar.
- Common butterflies are dead-leaf butterfly, monarch butterfly, cabbage butterfly and swallow tail butterfly. The allied forms are moths, which have stouter bodies, and feather-like antennae and during rest, their wings are horizontally held. They are night, fliers.
Butterflies are very useful to men because they amuse us by their brilliant colouration and help in pollinating the crop plants and other flowering plants. They are the most familiar insect to mankind due to their large size brilliant colouration and sunshine loving habits. The children are more fascinated by them.
The insect contains clubbate antennae and all above features hence it is Butterfly.
SOME OTHER SPECIES OF BUTTERFLIES :-