CLASSIFICATION OF PASSER DOMESTICUS : SPARROW
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AVES ( Biped and feathered vertebrates ).
Sub-class :- NEORNITHES ( True birds. Metacarpels fused )
Super Order :- NEOGNATHAE ( Modern birds, no teeth, sternum keeled).
Order :- PASSERIFORMES ( Bill stout owl like ).
Genus : Passer
Species :- domesticus
abundantly found in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Pakistan and India, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand and and has been introduced to U.S.A., Dubai.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Most familiar companion bird freely moving and nesting in the houses. They act as commensal to man. In winter they feed on cultivated areas in flocks. They are gregarious.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PASSER DOMESTICUS : SPARROW
- It is the common house sparrow. Its Hindi name is Gauriyya.
- It is a small bird measuring 10 to 15 cm in length. Body divisible into head, neck, back, breast and abdomen. Head contains paired eyes, nostril and beak.
- Sexual dimorphism is distinct. Female is ash white, while male is earthy brown with blackish throat and breast and white abdomen.
- Eyes small and the beak is short and conical. Beak adapted for seed eating
- Breast and abdomen bulging.
- Wing and wing feathers folded over body. Tail feathers elongated.
- Feet adapted for perching. Toes 3 in front and 1 behind.
- Nesting practically throughout the year. Some make elaborate nests and lay 3-8 eggs.
- Young naked and blind at hatching, require feeding and care by parents before becoming independent.
- Very familiar house hold bird.
The sparrows are both useful and harmful to mankind. They destroy several agricultural pests and they destroy vegetable and flower buds.
this bird has earthy brown body and above features, hence it is male Passer domesticus or Sparrow.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- Sources of images-https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhm.ac.uk%2Fdiscover%2Fhouse-sparrow-passer-domesticus.html&psig=AOvVaw3aZ4neotMD0z0g6PUGZUqr&ust=1602820616553000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwi8ypad2rXsAhW0wXMBHT68CokQr4kDegUIARC-AQ