CLASSIFICATION OF PERIPLANETA (COCKROACH)
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.)
CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of legs.)
ORDER :- BLATTODEA (Straight wings.)
FAMILY :- BLATTIDAE (Wings develop externally. )
GENUS :- Periplaneta
SPECIES :- americana (The common cockroach)
It is found in India, Asia and U.S.A. It has original home in Mexico but has travelled with man to all parts of the world. They flourish chiefly in tropical damp forests but occur throughout the world.
HABIT AND HABITAT
It is a nocturnal creature, avoiding the daylight and found in warm and damp places like kitchens, bakeries, hotels, restaurants, godowns, stores, channels and ships, etc.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PERIPLANETA (COCKROACH)
- Commonly called as cockroach.
- Body reddish brown in colour measuring 2.5 cm in length.
- Body elongated bilaterally symmetrical dorsoventrally flattened.
- Body strongly differentiated into dorsal and ventral surface and divided into head, thorax and abdomen.
- Dorsal surface has following structures :
- Head is slightly movable containing of a pair of long sensory antennae and pair of compound.
- Thorax divisible into prothorax mesothorax and metathorax. Thorax contains 3 pairs of walking legs, a pair of anterior fore wing, a pair of posterior hind wings. At rest wings remain folded and completely cover thorax and abdomen.
- Abdomen contains 10 segments.
- Ventral surface shows following structures:
- Tentacles and eyes prominent in head.
- Head contains chewing type of clearly visible mouth parts.
- Three pairs of legs in thorax, foreleg, middle leg and hind leg. Each contains coxa, trochantex, femur, tibia, tarsus, claws and pulvillus.
- Male and female cockroaches are distinguished by the appendages in 10th abdominal segment.
- Male cockroach has a pair of segmented anal cerci on sides and a pairs of unsegmented anal styles in 10th abdominal segment.
- Female cockroach has anal cerci and ovipositor valves.
These are the most important insect pests of human habitations destroying food and other things leaving behind a disagreable odour. They are regarded on general nuisance and sign of unclean conditions. Cockroaches are not devoid of goodness because they are extensively used for dissections to study invertebrate anatomy. They are also extensively used for physiological, biochemical, and toxicological researches in insects.
The cockroaches are so characteristic that there is no difficulty in indentifying them.