Phylum Hemichordata are small soft-bodied creatures, living singly or in group on sandy and muddy sea bottoms or in open water. The body and coelom are divided into three regions with paired gill-slits and nervous tissue in both dorsal and ventral epidermis. Certain tissue as an anterior projection from mouth cavity was formerly interpreted as a notochord and thus placing the group with phylum Chordata. Recent studies cast doubt on such interpretation and so-called earlier notochord is termed the buccal pouch. Now this group is placed under independent phylum Hemichordata. Between hemichordates and chordates there are resemblances in the pharyngeal gill-slits and the collar cord of the nervous system- its origin form dorsal epidermis. The embryo and early larvae of hemichordates and asteroid echinoderms are much alike in ciliated bands, digestive tracts, form, derivation of anus from blastopore (deuterostome) and enterocoelous coelom. The above features strongly suggest a common origin.
DIAGNOSTIC CHARACTERS OF PHYLUM HEMICHORDATA
- Small soft bodied, marine enterocoelus coelomate creatures.
- Notochord confined to head region.
- The anteroposterior axis is divided into three parts: the anterior prosome, the intermediate mesosome, and the posterior metasome.
- The mouth is located between the proboscis and the collar.
- The trunk is the longest part of the animal.
- The prosome of pterobranchs is specialized into a muscular and ciliated cephalic shield used in locomotion and in secreting the coenecium.
- They have a diverticulum of the foregut called a stomochord
CLASSIFICATION OF PHYLUM HEMICHORDATA
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- BALANOGLOSSUSBALANOGLOSSUS CLASSIFICATION OF BALANOGLOSSUS PHYLUM :- HEMICHORDATA ( Marine, enterocoelous coelomate. Notochord confined to head region). Class :- ENTEROPNEUSTA ( Several gill-slits, intestine ...READ MORE
- MANIS : PANGOLINMANIS : PANGOLIN CLASSIFICATION OF MANIS : PANGOLIN PHYLUM :- CHORDATA ( Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain ...READ MORE
- HERDMANIA SLIDESHERDMANIA SLIDES Herdmania : Metamorphosis : Tadpole Larva Larva of Herdmania is called as tadpole larva. After hatching it leads a free-swimming life for 90-180 seconds and then undergoes ...READ MORE
- What is Hypersensitivity, type 1,2,3,4 Allergy Full DetailsHypersensitivity The term hypersensitivity refers to those inappropriate immunological reactions, which rather than contributing to recovery, themselves produce tissue damage and forms an important ...READ MORE
- CELLS INVOLVED IN IMMUNE RESPONSE (LYMPHOCYTES)CELLS INVOLVED IN IMMUNE RESPONSE (Lymphocytes) What is immune Response ? The immune response involves a coordinated set of interactions among host cells and the protective molecules they produce ...READ MORE
- TUBIFEXTUBIFEX CLASSIFICATION OF TUBIFEX PHYLUM :- ANNELIDA (Metamerically segmented, coelomate and laterally symmetrical. ) CLASS :- OLIGOCHAETA (Few setae) ORDER :- ARCHIOLIGOCHAETA (Small and fresh-water ...READ MORE
- PALINURUS (SPINY LOBSTER)PALINURUS (SPINY LOBSTER) CLASSIFICATION OF PALINURUS (SPINY LOBSTER) KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms) PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.) SUB-PHYLUM:- ...READ MORE
- CAVERNULARIACAVERNULARIA CLASSIFICATION OF CAVERNULARIA PHYLUM :- COELENTRATA OR CNIDARIA (Tissue grade, diploblastic and acoelomate. ) CLASS :- ANTHOZOA OR ACTINOZOA (Only polypoid generation. sedentary, ...READ MORE
- APIS INDICA (HONEY BEE)APIS INDICA(HONEY BEE) CLASSIFICATION OF APIS INDICA (HONEY BEE) KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms) PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.) CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of ...READ MORE
- LOLIGO (SQUID)LOLIGO (SQUID) CLASSIFICATION OF LOLIGO (SQUID) KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms) PHYLUM :- MOLLUSCA (Unsegmented bilaterally symmetrical and provided with visceral mass, foot ...READ MORE