CLASSIFICATION OF POLISTES (YELLOW WASP)
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.)
CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of legs.)
ORDER :- HYMENTOPTERA (2 pairs of wings.)
FAMILY :- VESPIDAE (Wings develop externally.)
GENUS :- Polistes
HABIT AND HABITAT
Found on walls, root of houses, trees and hives made of clay. Diurnal flying insects.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF POLISTES (YELLOW WASP)
- Commonly called as yellow wasp (Pollistis herbraeus). Vaspa orientalis is red and yellow coloured wasp.
- Body divisible into head thorax and abdomen.
- Head contains paired antennae and compound eyes. Mouth parts biting and chewing.
- Thorax and abdomen more or less oval abdomen larger.
- Thorax contain prothoracic, mesothoracic and metathoracic legs.
- Wings two pairs hind wings and forewings.
- Last abdominal segment contains sting.
- Insects sting man which cause pain and inflammation.
- Yellow coloured wasp are often found howevering over glass walls.
- Red coloured wasp are larger than yellow coloured and are often found around open sweat items. They also sting man and it is very painful.
The body is yellow coloured and insect has all above features, hence it is Polistis.