CLASSIFICATION OF POTERION
PHYLUM :- PORIFERA (Pore bearing, cellular grade, asymmetrical or radially symmetrical.)
CLASS :- DEMOSPONGIAE (Skeleton of spongin fibres or siliceous spicules which are not six-rayed.)
ORDER :- Monaxonida (Spongin mayor may not be present; spicules monaxon.)
GENUS :- Poterion
It is found in the Gulf of Mexico and off coast of North Carolina.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Poterion is a solitary, marine and boring sponge.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF POTERION
- Commonly called as Neptune’s goblet.
- It is supposed to be one of the largest sponges, which may attain a diameter or height of 1 to 2 meters.
- Body becomes free, large, vase-shaped, with incurrent apertures on the outer surface and excurrent on the inner surface.
- Skeleton comprises tylostyles.
- There is a large osculum at anterior end.
- Posterior end has root-like processes in the form of slender stalk attached to substratum.
The animal has large osculum, large cup-shaped body with a small stalk and all above feature, hence it is Poterion.