CLASSIFICATION OF PRIAPULUS
Phylum :- Priapulida(Introvert proboscis.)
Genus :- Priapulus
It is found in Arctic sea.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Priapulus is a marine, cylindrical, burrowing and unsegmented animal. It burrows in sand or mud at moderate depths in the colder seas.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PRIAPULUS
- Body divisible into proboscis, trunk and caudal appendages.
- Proboscis has longitudinal ribs of papillae and spines. A constriction separates proboscis and trunk.
- No pre-oral segment. Mouth terminal and surrounded by spiny circumoral areas.
- Body wall contains an outer cuticular and an inner longitudinal muscle layer.
- There is a perivisceral coelom which extends into the posterior papillae.
- There are no blood vascular system and excretory system. Excretion is efffected by the genital ducts and their branches.
- Products of gonads are passed to the exterior by ducts of doubtful origin opening close to the anus.
- Body is unsegmented but is marked with many superficial annulations.
- Mid ventral nerve cord is like white line, non-ganglionated and without sense organs.
- Sexes separate. Caudal appendage has spines.
It has proboscis having ribs of papillae and all above features, hence it is Priapulus.
Characterstics of Minor Phyla
On the basis of presence or absence of a true coelom minor phyla are divided into two groups.
(A) Minor Acoelomate Groups 1. Mesozoa, 2. Ctenophora, 3. Endoprocta, 4. Nemertinea (Rynchocoela), 5. Acanthocephala, 6. Nematomorpha, 7. Rotifera, 8. Gastrotricha, 9. Kinorhyncha, 10. Nematoda
(B) Minor Coelomate Groups 1. Ectoprocta, 2. Brachiopoda, 3. Phoronida, 4. Chaelognatha, 5. Priapulida, 6. Sipunculida, 7. Echiuroidea, 8. Brachiata. Some of the representatives of the above phyla are discussed below.
- CESTUMCESTUM CLASSIFICATION OF CESTUM PHYLUM :- CTENOPHORA (Biradially symmetrical. Radiata without nematocysts. ) CLASS :- TENTACULATA (With tentacles.) ORDER :- CESTIDA (Band-like form.) GENUS ...READ MORE
- WHY ELEPHANTS NEVER FORGETS ?WHY ELEPHANTS NEVER FORGETS ? It’s a not unexpected saying that elephants always remember, and that is why these great creatures are more than just monster strolling on our planet earth. The ...READ MORE
- CAPRELLACAPRELLA CLASSIFICATION OF CAPRELLA PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.) CLASS :- CRUSTACEA (Exoskeleton thick, antennae 2 pairs, jaws 3 pairs.) SUB-CLASS :- MALACOSTRACA (Free-living ...READ MORE
- SPIRORBISSPIRORBIS CLASSIFICATION OF SPIRORBIS PHYLUM :- ANNELIDA (Metamerically segmented, coelomate and laterally symmetrical. ) CLASS :- POLYCHAETA (Many setae, clitellum absent. ) ORDER :- ...READ MORE
- JAW SUSPENSIONS IN VERTEBRATESJAW SUSPENSIONS IN VERTEBRATES Jaw suspension means attachment of the lower jaw with the upper jaw or the skull for efficient biting and chewing. There are different ways in which these attachments ...READ MORE
- Complement System, Activation, PathwayComplement System The complement system includes serum and membrane-bound proteins that functions in both natural and acquired defense system. These proteins are highly regulated and interact via a ...READ MORE
- HEMIDACTYLUS : COMMON HOUSE LIZARDHEMIDACTYLUS : COMMON HOUSE LIZARD CLASSIFICATION OF HEMIDACTYLUS : COMMON HOUSE LIZARD PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present ) Group :- CRANIATA ( ...READ MORE
- LUIDIA (SEVEN ARMED STARFISH)LUIDIA (SEVEN ARMED STARFISH) CLASSIFICATION OF LUIDIA KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms) PHYLUM :- ECHINODERMATA (Coelomate, pentaradiate and spiny skinned animals with ...READ MORE
- CERATELLACERATELLA CLASSIFICATION OF CERATELLA PHYLUM :- COELENTRATA (Tissue grade, diploblastic and acoelomate. ) CLASS :- HYDROZOA (Hydroids containing medusa with velum.) ORDER ...READ MORE
- NEPA (WATER SCORPION)NEPA (WATER SCORPION) CLASSIFICATION OF NEPA (WATER SCORPION) KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA (Multicellular eukaryotic organisms) PHYLUM :- ARTHROPODA (Jointed appendages.) CLASS :- INSECTA (3 pairs of legs.) ...READ MORE