CLASSIFICATION OF PROTEUS : OLM
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin)
Class :- AMPHIBIA ( Scaleless glandular skin , have 3 chambered heart , cold blooded, 2 occipital condyles, can live in water and land both )
Order :- URODELA OR CAUDATA ( Scaleless Amphibia having well developed tail, generally with two limbs, with or without external gills and gill-slits in adults).
Sub-order :- PROTEIDA ( Body depressed, tail with fin, gills permanent, eyelids absent, lungs present and permanently aquatic).
FAMILY :– PROTEIDAE (3 pairs of gills and laterally compressed tail. )
Genus :- Proteus
Proteus is distributed in South Eastern Europe, Austria and Germany.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Proteus inhabits waters of deep caves in perfect darkness in underground streams. Temperature never exceeds more than 50°F. It feeds on small crustaceans.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF PROTEUS : OLM
- Commonly known as olm or cave salamander.
- Body is elongated, 20 to 25 cm in length and covered with unpigmented skin. Body divided into head, trunk and tail.
- Head is broad. Rudimentary eyes sunken deep in head are without eyelids.
- Limbs are poorly developed, a hind limb contains 2 digits and a forelimb 3 digits.
- Three pairs of carmine-coloured external gills and two pairs of gill-slits are persistent. Lungs also present. The animal often rises to the surface, gives out a bubble of air and engulfs fresh air in lungs.
- Skull cartilaginous. Both jaws have teeth. Maxillaries absent. Premaxillaries, vomers and mandibles toothed. Vertebrae amphicoelous.
- Locomotion by flattened and compressed tail provided with caudal tin.
Proteus is a permanent neotenic larva with 3 pairs of gills. Presence of permanent tail, weak limbs, gills and gill-slits and teeth in both jaws are some of the important characters. interesting and favourite animal.
The animal contains 3 pairs of gills, limbs and pointed tail with tail fin and above features, hence it is Proteus.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- image source – https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencenews.org%2Farticle%2Fblind-aquatic-salamander-may-have-sat-mostly-still-seven-years&psig=AOvVaw0doMEZ-uXnwSzXS7MB7ohU&ust=1603956308315000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwii2ZqB4dbsAhU CHrcAHVtNBfIQ r4kDegUIARC2A Q
- https://www.google.com/url? sa=i&url=https% 3A%2F%2Fwww. n ationalgeograph i c.com%2Fscienc e %2Fphenomena %2F2010%2F07 %2F20%2Fthe- olm-the-blind- cave- salamander-that- lives-to- 100%2F&psig=A OvVaw0doMEZ- uXnwSzXS7MB7 ohU&ust=16039 56308315000&s ource=image s&c d=vfe&ved= 2ah UKEwii2Zq B4db sAhUCHrc AHVt NBfIQr4k DegUI ARC6AQ