CLASSIFICATION OF RATTUS RATTUS : RAT
PHYLUM :- CHORDATA (Notochord, dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill slits present )
Group :- CRANIATA ( Definite head. Cranium with brain present )
Sub-phylum :- VERTEBRATA ( vertebral column present)
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present )
Super class :- TETRAPODA ( Paired limbs, lungs, bony skeleton and cornified skin).
Class :-MAMMALIA ( Body covered with hairs. females have mammary glands ).
Sub-class :- THERIA ( Viviparous ).
Infra class :- EUTHERIA ( Placental mammals, vagina single ).
Order :- INSECTIVORA ( Feeds on insect ).
Genus : Rattus
Rattus rattus is found in all parts of the world. It prefers warmer and drier
HABIT AND HABITAT
It is a common rat inhabiting holes and burrows in houses and in cultivated fields. It feeds on stored grains,seeds, fruit, stems, leaves, fungi, and a variety of invertebrates and vertebrates . In parts of India, it is considered sacred and respected in the Karni Mata Temple in Deshnoke. Black rats are also found around fences, ponds, riverbanks, streams, and reservoirs.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF RATTUS RATTUS : RAT
- Commonly called as black rat. also known as ship rat, roof rat, or house rat.
- Body divisible into head, neck, trunk and tail.
- Head contains ears, eyes, nostrils, and snout with long moustache or vibrissae.
- Body and limbs covered with hairs.
- Pinnae well developed. Eyes sharp.
- This black rat exhibits several colour forms. It is usually black to light brown in colour with a lighter underside.
- Tail is elongated and scaly.
- Incisor teeth chisel-like, open-rooted, used for gnawing. Canines absent.
- It is a predatory species and adapts to different micro-habitats.
- Black rats (or their ectoparasites) can carry a number of pathogens, of which bubonic plague (via the Oriental rat flea), typhus, Weil’s disease, toxoplasmosis and trichinosis are the best known.
- They are great climbers and prefer to live in palms and trees, such as pine trees.
Rat destroys the crop and stored grains. It also spreads typhus fever and plague. It acts as carrier of these diseases. Rat has great experimental value. It is largely used in various biophysical and biochemical studies. It also acts as intermediate host for various helminthic diseases.
The animal has long vibrissae and above features, hence it is Rattus rattus.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- source of images-https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vebiexport.com%2Ftechnical-area%2Frattus-rattus-black-rat%2F&psig=AOvVaw04okrl6FAyBghNTp0795OS&ust=1603113904085000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjR9cjnnr7sAhXREbcAHUZqD0IQr4kDegUIARDOAQ
This Post Has 2 Comments
Pingback: CLASS MAMMALIA | FAUNAFONDNESS | 2021
Pingback: Importance of Wildlife - FAUNAFONDNESS