CLASSIFICATION OF SALMO SOLA : TROUT
Phylum :- CHORDATA ( Notochord and dorsal tubular nerve cord present and gill-slits present).
Group :- CRANIATA ( Cranium with brain present ).
Subphylum :- VERTEBRATA (Vertebral column present ).
Division :- GNATHOSTOMATA ( Jaws and paired appendages present ).
Super class :- PISCES (Paired fins , gills and skin with scales)
Class :- OSTEICHTHYES ( Bony fishes ).
SUB-CLASS :- ACTINOPTERYGII OR NEOPTERYGII (Modern fishes. Vertebrae amphicoelous. Caudal fin homocercal, Scales cycloid or ctenoid. Nostrils do not communicate with mouth cavity).
SUPER ORDER :- TELEOSTEI ( Bony fish proper).
Order :- ISOSPONDYLI (Tail homocercal. Fins without spiny rays. Air bladder communicates with pharynx by a duct. Maxillae included in gap of mouth).
Family :- Salmonidae (Gill membranes extending far forward, free from isthmus. Pelvic axillary process present).
GENUS :- Salmo
SPECIES :- sola
Fresh-water and marine fish. It is found in temperate and Arctic zones of northern hemisphere such as North America-California to Alaska, Europe and Canada. It has been introduced in Kashmir and the Nilgiris
HABIT AND HABITAT
Salmon is found in sea water. They are famous for their beauty, migratory habits and colour changes. Young migrate to sea and mature in 2 to 8 years, return to fresh-water, spawn once and die.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF SALMO SOLA : TROUT
- Commonly known as trout, weights 10 to 15 kg.
- Elegant spindle-shaped body is covered with overlapping scales. Body is divided into head, trunk and tail.
- Head is conical in shape and contains eyes and nostrils.
- The margins of upper jaw are formed by pre-maxillaries and maxillaries.
- Paired fins are pectoral and pelvic fins.
- Pectoral fin is close to operculum. First dorsal fin in middle and second dorsal fin between first dorsal fin and caudal fin. Anal fin just below second dorsal fin. Fins without fin rays.
- Tail homocercal. Air bladder having open duct to pharynx. Operculum and lateral line distinct.
- Ova shed in abdominal cavity before passing to exterior.
Salmon and trout possess a small adipose fin on the back. They are much prized for food and game. Millions of pounds are taken in nets, used fresh or canned. Various salmon and trout fishes have been transplanted to new localities.
This fish has adipose fin and above features, hence it is Salmo.
- Book of Practical Zoology VERTEBRATE by S.S.LAL – Rastogi Publications.
- SOURCE OF IMAGE – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmo
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: SUPER CLASS PISCES (FISHES) | FAUNAFONDNESS | 2021