CLASSIFICATION OF TUBIFEX
PHYLUM :- ANNELIDA (Metamerically segmented, coelomate and laterally symmetrical. )
CLASS :- OLIGOCHAETA (Few setae)
ORDER :- ARCHIOLIGOCHAETA (Small and fresh-water forms.)
GENUS :- Tubifex
It is found in U.S.A. (Long Island Sound to Maine).
HABIT AND HABITAT
Tubifex is a tubicolous fresh-water archioligochaete, found abundantly on the bottom of deep lakes. The animal lives in tubes, made up of mud and minerals glued together by mucus.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF TUBIFEX
- Body is cylindrical, red coloured, metamerically segmented measuring 4 cm in length
- First and second segments are prostomium and peristomium respectively.
- Each segment contains 4 bundles of setae on dorsal and ventral sides.
- Setae forked and hair-like in the dorsal bundles and only forked ones in ventral bundles.
- Clitellum is found in 11th and 12th segments.
- Contractile heart is found in 8th segment. Female-genital pores in the 11th segment and male-genital pore in the 12th segment.
- Hermaphroditic. It reproduces sexually only.
Tubifex is encouraged to grow in filter beds of sewage disposal plants in order to keep the filter open. They have probably purifactory functions.
The animal contains 4-bundles of setae in each segment and all above features hence it is Tubifex.