CLASSIFICATION OF VIRGULARIA
KINGDOM :- ANIMALIA ( Multicellular eukaryotic organisms)
PHYLUM :- COELENTRATA OR CNIDARIA (Tissue grade, diploblastic and acoelomate. )
CLASS :- ANTHOZOA OR ACTINOZOA (Only polypoid generation. sedentary, solitary, colonial.)
SUB-CLASS :- OCTOCORALLIA (Polyps with 8 tentacles, bioluminescent.)
ORDER :- PENNATULACEA (Colony dimorphic with a long axial polyp and many lateral polyps.)
FAMILY :- VIRGULARIIDAE
GENUS :- Virgularia
It is distributed along Pacific coast.
HABIT AND HABITAT
Virgularia is a marine and colonial Actinozoa.
GENERAL CHARACTERSTICS OF VIRGULARIA
- Commonly called as walking stick.
- Body is divided into curved proximal and distal rachis.
- Rachis is elongated like walking stick.
- Anthocodia or polyps are grouped and slightly fused into transverse or oblique rows spaced at regular intervals along the stem.
- Siphonozooids are found just below each row of polyps.
Virgularia is bioluminescent.
The animal is like walking stick and contains all above parts, hence it is Virgularia.